Skip to main content

Travel Opportunity

Have you ever been offered a free trip? Phrases like, "No cost to you," and, "All expenses paid," lure us in for a closer look. Many times we get caught up in the hype. We jump on board without a second thought! Most of the time it is not what it seems. A first-rate trip turns into a nightmare.

We should remember, however, that a guilt trip is one we are not obligated to take, even when we love the one who is offering it. It's not a matter of accepting or rejecting out of hand. I'm also not suggesting denial as a blanket defense. Many times these offers are made for reasons known only to the other person's heart. Only God can see them. My recommendation is that we not blindly accept the guilt without serious self-examination beforehand. Now I realize that sometimes we can put our blinders on and go about our lives with some serious guilt on our souls without ever accepting it. I'm not talking about that. There is a cure and we all must accept responsibility for our own words and actions. We need to review carefully, for we are not always guilty as charged.

We can not, should not, take responsibility for others actions, or lack of them. God knows our hearts better than anyone else. If we consider our thoughts and motives in light of His word and His truth and He does not condemn us, than we need not accept the condemnation of others. No matter how well-intentioned the charge, we can say, "Thank you, but not this trip."

Hearts that love the truth will find it, even on the rocky road of other's good intentions.
So, keep your head up, eyes on Jesus and step confidently forward. If we know our Guide and trust and keep His commands, the end of the road will be worth it all!

"Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God;
and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight." 1 John 3:21-22

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Life is Just Too Much

Recently I signed up for my first 5k.  I've been walking and running for about 10 years.  Some young friends talked me into trying it.  I started slow, and in my 'much older' sisters words, I just tapered off.   I decided I was never going to get faster and if I didn't try to finish a 5k now, I'd never do it.  I guess my impending 60th birthday is making me feel like I need to 'do' something;  something I can say, "I always wanted to do that!"

So a few days a week I get my workout clothes, my 49ers cap to keep my curls out of my face, and turn on my Nike running app.  I don't always feel like doing it.  Sometimes I hurt, or I'm tired, or I just have too much to do.  I want to give up.  But when I make myself keep going. . . one foot in front of the other, tired legs or not, ragged breathe.  I always feel better at the end.  I know that powering through the difficulties will make it worth it in the end.

This made me think on my walk this …

To Mothers!

I know, you thought I wasn't coming back, didn't you?  :D I have to say, it's been a while since I had time to think about writing.  But I don't want to talk about me.  Today, I want to talk about Mom's.  Mother's Day isn't the only time we should remember the one who nurtured and loved us through childhood and beyond.  But it's a lovely time to highlight the joys and sorrows of motherhood; to be thankful for those who played this role, whether by birth or friendship!

I'm thankful for a mother who modeled motherhood for me.  Some of my earliest memories of her, next to her ceaseless care of her family and her home, was her attention to Bible study and prayer. Mom would start the day with coffee (smart woman!) and then get her family out the door.  Then I remember her sitting down with her Bible, a pen, a notebook, a fresh cup of coffee and breakfast (she loved a vegie omelette with cheese.)

That example made a huge impression on this girl.  I wish t…

Courage and Strength

On this journey below, we often stumble.  Someone once said that success isn't how often we fall, but how often we get up.  Success in the Christian walk is about discerning and avoiding the pitfalls of life, and when we do fall, acknowledging God's strength in overcoming the weakness of the flesh.  It isn't how strong we are, but how strong our God is.

When we were expecting our sixth child, we found that he had many physical problems.  It was a time of grief, tears, searching for answers, and learning to depend on God.  One of my Christian sisters commented, "You are so courageous."  My reply, "No, but my God is."

"Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!"  Psalm 27:14  

Our strength is only from God.  It doesn't  come from any other source.  Even Paul was encouraged more than once by his connections with the people of God; their gifts, their prayers, their presence.  (Acts 28:15,…