Skip to main content
Today we visited at two nursing homes in town. It is always a pleasure, because, no matter how we sound, someone claps, or at least thanks us for coming. They are not applauding our beautiful singing. They just love having us come, sing songs they remember and maybe share an encouraging word, a pat on the back or hold their hand for a moment. The cookies are an added treat, but I think even without them they would love our visits.
This time, we had our 2 eldest grandson's with us and that was the best. These older people who may not see many but their elder companions at the home, see these little faces and want to talk to them, to hold their hands. The boys were good to shake hands, say thank you for all the compliments and the four year old even helped to pass out treats.
Most of those greetings brought smiles. But I saw a few sad faces, looks of rememberance of their days when their own children and grandchildren were small, and the knowledge that they now might not come around much was on my mind.
One lady shared this with me, "When they are young, they step on your toes. When they are old, they step on your heart."
It is hard to go, sometimes, to visit with those I do not really know, to listen to them talk about others I don't know.
Then I remember that one day I, too, will be old. I may be somewhere I don't want to be. Who will come to see me? Who will listen to my oft' told stories? I would like to think that I do what I can today, and plant the seeds of serving in my children and grandchildren. I hope that they will learn the lesson of true Christian living. I hope they will live by the example that was set before them. There is a Latin phrase I like, "Princeps Exemplar;" lead by example. I hope that is the inheritance I leave for my children.
Thank you for taking time to read today!

Comments

  1. I love your posts Denise. I really enjoyed this one because I have cared for many other people throughout the years and hoped my example too would pass on. You just never know. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe actions speak volumes and you may never know the extent to which those actions have influenced others to good works!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Life is Just Too Much

Recently I signed up for my first 5k.  I've been walking and running for about 10 years.  Some young friends talked me into trying it.  I started slow, and in my 'much older' sisters words, I just tapered off.   I decided I was never going to get faster and if I didn't try to finish a 5k now, I'd never do it.  I guess my impending 60th birthday is making me feel like I need to 'do' something;  something I can say, "I always wanted to do that!"

So a few days a week I get my workout clothes, my 49ers cap to keep my curls out of my face, and turn on my Nike running app.  I don't always feel like doing it.  Sometimes I hurt, or I'm tired, or I just have too much to do.  I want to give up.  But when I make myself keep going. . . one foot in front of the other, tired legs or not, ragged breathe.  I always feel better at the end.  I know that powering through the difficulties will make it worth it in the end.

This made me think on my walk this …

To Mothers!

I know, you thought I wasn't coming back, didn't you?  :D I have to say, it's been a while since I had time to think about writing.  But I don't want to talk about me.  Today, I want to talk about Mom's.  Mother's Day isn't the only time we should remember the one who nurtured and loved us through childhood and beyond.  But it's a lovely time to highlight the joys and sorrows of motherhood; to be thankful for those who played this role, whether by birth or friendship!

I'm thankful for a mother who modeled motherhood for me.  Some of my earliest memories of her, next to her ceaseless care of her family and her home, was her attention to Bible study and prayer. Mom would start the day with coffee (smart woman!) and then get her family out the door.  Then I remember her sitting down with her Bible, a pen, a notebook, a fresh cup of coffee and breakfast (she loved a vegie omelette with cheese.)

That example made a huge impression on this girl.  I wish t…

Courage and Strength

On this journey below, we often stumble.  Someone once said that success isn't how often we fall, but how often we get up.  Success in the Christian walk is about discerning and avoiding the pitfalls of life, and when we do fall, acknowledging God's strength in overcoming the weakness of the flesh.  It isn't how strong we are, but how strong our God is.

When we were expecting our sixth child, we found that he had many physical problems.  It was a time of grief, tears, searching for answers, and learning to depend on God.  One of my Christian sisters commented, "You are so courageous."  My reply, "No, but my God is."

"Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!"  Psalm 27:14  

Our strength is only from God.  It doesn't  come from any other source.  Even Paul was encouraged more than once by his connections with the people of God; their gifts, their prayers, their presence.  (Acts 28:15,…