Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Travel directions

I am currently in route to Washington State.  Plans are for me to stay a few weeks to help our eldest child with her family while she settles into her new role with the National Guard.  My dear husband and I prayed and talked about what we could do as grandparents and this is one thing we felt would benefit the boys as they adjust also.

Many times in our married life (we just celebrated our 32nd anniversary) we have had to adjust to new direction.  We met in the small church of Christ in a tiny mountain town in California where he worked in radio and I was the new school teacher.  I smile as I remember those early days of shyness and uncertainty.  Little did we know when we committed to one another that hot day in June where the road would take us.

We could not have begun to imagine the places or experiences we would visit. He eventually left radio to begin training for pulpit ministry.  God blessed us with children. He also blessed us with loss, not only of a much-wanted child, but also of parents, and sometimes hopes and dreams.  Through it all we have clung to the hope and dream of eternal life with God in heaven.

I believe that God in his infinite wisdom does not let us see the future, joyous or sorrowful, for many reasons.  Trusting Him has to be the top of the list.  Where would faith come from if we knew what would befall us?  Would we rush headlong into things that eventually would undo our faith?  Would we avoid situations that were meant to strengthen and establish us?  Certainly these are both possibilities.

I recently set my status on Facebook as "thankful for suffering."  I smile again thinking of the growth that is taking place as I submit to God, learning to trust his strength, giving up my own will. The battles are not easily won. The progress must be defended daily.  I learn to trust God's direction for my footsteps.

Several verses clamor to be shared here:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Forgetting those things which are behind; . . .   I press on towards the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12b & 14

I thank my God upon every rememberance of you. . . . being confident of this very thing, that he who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;  Philippians 1:3 & 6

So as I continue traveling on this detour through Washington State (where, by the way, my journey here on earth began over 56 years ago.)  Some may smile at the thought of coming 'full-circle.'  But this isn't anywhere near the end.  Who knows what time I may have left here?  Only let it be spent in following the footsteps of Christ where they may lead. Let me be found faithful, setting an example of His love and good works for those who follow.

Finally:
For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for teh Savior,  the lord jesus christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to his glorious body, according to the working by which he is able even to subdue all things to himself.  Philippians 4:20,21

2 comments:

  1. I was born in Washington State 55 years ago! My Dad was stationed there in the Army. :o) Small world!
    Love this post! I can so relate! :o)
    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry it too me so long to post your comment and respond. I ended up staying 7 weeks with my daughter's family and then came home and returned for 8 more days. I totally missed posting in September! :) I'll bet he was at Ft. Lewis? ! (hugs)

      Delete

Update on the Wallet

Now don't faint.  I know it's just been a few days since my last blog post.  But when God get's moving, things happen fast. Wedn...