Skip to main content
"Sometimes the load is heavy and sometimes the road is long; and sometimes Lord this heart of mine is not so very strong.  But Thy will be done, Lord.   Thy will be done."

These words by Joyce Eiler come back to me often when I'm in the midst of a struggle.  Singing the words to this song (the ones I remember) help me to remember that it isn't the struggle that matters, but whether I keep my eyes on the prize.  It is so easy to sink into despair, or anger, or even begin to blame others for my troubles.  But in the end it's just me and God, working through and walking together.  Well, mostly God.  In fact, I am so weak and weary, that I must admit, it's all God! :o) Just to illustrate, can you imagine anyone looking at a Monet painting and saying, "Well, that paint sure made the artist look good!" The creator of the artwork gets the glory, not the canvas or the paint.  Okay, I'm laughing now, but when I started I was crying.

You see, life just isn't easy most days.  There are temptations and trials all along the road. There are steep hills to climb and deep, dangerous rivers to ford.  But I choose to believe God.  He said He would never leave me nor forsake me.  Now, I have the choice to step away from Him.  But He hasn't changed.  There were times I chose to turn my back and live my life my way.  Those are not happy memories.

But in the time since I made the commitment to stick close to His side, to choose His way over mine, there have been sad times, but there is always the contentment of knowing He is  preparing me a home in heaven, but also living inside of me, daily guiding my steps.  The very nearness of God is comforting.  Knowing He has promised that He will never let me suffer longer than necessary comforts as well.

I leave you with these two scriptures:
Hebrews 13:5
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”


I Peter 5:10
But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Life is Just Too Much

Recently I signed up for my first 5k.  I've been walking and running for about 10 years.  Some young friends talked me into trying it.  I started slow, and in my 'much older' sisters words, I just tapered off.   I decided I was never going to get faster and if I didn't try to finish a 5k now, I'd never do it.  I guess my impending 60th birthday is making me feel like I need to 'do' something;  something I can say, "I always wanted to do that!"

So a few days a week I get my workout clothes, my 49ers cap to keep my curls out of my face, and turn on my Nike running app.  I don't always feel like doing it.  Sometimes I hurt, or I'm tired, or I just have too much to do.  I want to give up.  But when I make myself keep going. . . one foot in front of the other, tired legs or not, ragged breathe.  I always feel better at the end.  I know that powering through the difficulties will make it worth it in the end.

This made me think on my walk this …

To Mothers!

I know, you thought I wasn't coming back, didn't you?  :D I have to say, it's been a while since I had time to think about writing.  But I don't want to talk about me.  Today, I want to talk about Mom's.  Mother's Day isn't the only time we should remember the one who nurtured and loved us through childhood and beyond.  But it's a lovely time to highlight the joys and sorrows of motherhood; to be thankful for those who played this role, whether by birth or friendship!

I'm thankful for a mother who modeled motherhood for me.  Some of my earliest memories of her, next to her ceaseless care of her family and her home, was her attention to Bible study and prayer. Mom would start the day with coffee (smart woman!) and then get her family out the door.  Then I remember her sitting down with her Bible, a pen, a notebook, a fresh cup of coffee and breakfast (she loved a vegie omelette with cheese.)

That example made a huge impression on this girl.  I wish t…

Courage and Strength

On this journey below, we often stumble.  Someone once said that success isn't how often we fall, but how often we get up.  Success in the Christian walk is about discerning and avoiding the pitfalls of life, and when we do fall, acknowledging God's strength in overcoming the weakness of the flesh.  It isn't how strong we are, but how strong our God is.

When we were expecting our sixth child, we found that he had many physical problems.  It was a time of grief, tears, searching for answers, and learning to depend on God.  One of my Christian sisters commented, "You are so courageous."  My reply, "No, but my God is."

"Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!"  Psalm 27:14  

Our strength is only from God.  It doesn't  come from any other source.  Even Paul was encouraged more than once by his connections with the people of God; their gifts, their prayers, their presence.  (Acts 28:15,…