Skip to main content

Today in America it is Flag Day.  It was first observed on June 14th, 1877, 100 years after congress passed the first flag resolution.

I have always been grateful to be an American, where our religious freedom was protected by the constitution of our country.

Today in the chaos of our changing world, we should be thankful for the many blessings we have.  But we should also spend time on our knees asking God to guide our leaders as they make decisions that will impact us now and generations to come.  We cannot deny that things are changing and not for the better.  Ungodly people are making decisions and influencing change that will directly affect us and our descendants in their ability to worship our God and live as Christians.

Now, having said that, I want to qualify with this:  No matter what happens, God is still God.  He is still the Captain of my destiny and the Lord of my life.  The man in the White House will in no way change what I believe or Who I worship.

I love America, but I love God more.  I am blessed to live in a country where we have freedom to worship how we desire.  But freedom comes with responsibility.  One, to remind each successive generation of the sacrifices made for that freedom and also, the responsibility to share the truth of God's word with those around me.

God gives true freedom, no matter where you live.  The freedom from sin and death are greater than the freedom to live where you like or do what you want.  Eternity has two destinations.  Everyone has a choice which they will choose.

Where will you spend your eternity?  You may go where you wish, but I choose to spend it with God, praising the God Who offers us the only true freedom.  Whether you live in war torn city or quiet, peaceful nations, the real answer to all of life's trouble is to look to the Creator and accept the ultimate gift, Jesus perfect sacrifice, offered on the cross for us.

 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."  Romans 6:1-4 New King James Version

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keys to Building a Good Marriage

Photo by Charlotte Duren   We recently moved to a new community.  In all the preparation for holiday celebrations and then the move, getting settled in our home and community, my quiet time dwindled to a few prayers on the run and scattered thoughts on the word.  Add family to the mix and it occurred to me how easy it is to neglect those things which are most important.  If my relationship to God is hurting, how much more so the relationship to my husband and children must be suffering!   The natural ebb and flow of life is never a steady stream, but sometimes a rushing torrent, sometimes a trickle in the desert.  If we women don't carve out time for our own daily study, the whole family suffers and our marriage is not the best it can be. Each of us has the same amount of time.  We have today.  No one is promised more or less.  But we much make a conscious choice how we spend that time.  Now we don't all have the same responsibilit...

Changes

Change is inevitable.  Life is a journey and we cannot see the road ahead.  We plan, we plot, we strategize and organize.  Then some element changes, throwing the entire plan into chaos.   How we respond to that change makes all the difference in the outcome.  What happens when our well-thought out plan is no longer workable?  Do we throw up our hands and give up?  Do we lament and moan and weep over it?  Do we begin working on Plan B?  None of these is a 'wrong' answer as long as we don't get stuck in one too long.  How important is it for us to grieve the loss of our first plan?  It's important and necessary even to mourn for what isn't going to happen, or even the loss of what could be.   Rodger and I planned for me to be a 'stay-at-home mom.'  He never liked coming home to an empty house when he was a kid.  But I think that the stronger motivation was having one of us to be there for our children...

Travel directions

I am currently in route to Washington State.  Plans are for me to stay a few weeks to help our eldest child with her family while she settles into her new role with the National Guard.  My dear husband and I prayed and talked about what we could do as grandparents and this is one thing we felt would benefit the boys as they adjust also. Many times in our married life (we just celebrated our 32nd anniversary) we have had to adjust to new direction.  We met in the small church of Christ in a tiny mountain town in California where he worked in radio and I was the new school teacher.  I smile as I remember those early days of shyness and uncertainty.  Little did we know when we committed to one another that hot day in June where the road would take us. We could not have begun to imagine the places or experiences we would visit. He eventually left radio to begin training for pulpit ministry.  God blessed us with children. He also blessed us with loss, not on...